Living Island Life on Gili Air: What You Need to Know
This includes missing and lost items, events and – importantly for you – things they’re looking to buy, sell and rent. You can find things like scuba diving gear, places to live and bicycles.
As there are no cars or scooters this will be your main method of transportation while you’re on land. While the island isn’t big, you’ll be surprised by how much you rely on it and how far away things can seem! In no time you’ll be thinking that a 15 minute ride is too far. Expect to pay around 700,000 IDR, depending on the type and the state of the bike.
Gili Air accommodation situation
What to consider when finding a place to call home:
- Shower – Do you want freshwater or will slightly salty water do? Will you make do with cold water or is hot water an essential for you?
- Keeping cool – It sure does get hot here but do you really need air con? Fan rooms are often quite a bit cheaper.
- The location – Most things are located towards the south of the island, including the mosque. You’ll need to consider where you want to be in relation to these.
- Cleaning – Does the accommodation get cleaned? How often? Or will you need to buy some cleaning stuff and do it yourself?
- Kitchen – Eating local food is very inexpensive. However, if you’re on a really tight budget or have some tough eating requirements a kitchen might be a necessity for you.
- The cost – Most places tend to be between 2 – 3 million IDR depending on what you’re looking for and the season. Keep an eye out for better deals in the low season.
Island life: shopping
There are also a few stalls and shops for clothes and jewellery. These are targeted at tourists, but if you find yourself bored of your suitcase it’s worth a look!
But doesn’t island life get boring?
But if you’re looking for a bit more of an adventure, jump on the public boat to Lombok. Get your fill of mountainscapes and waterfalls – climb mount Rinjani or wander through rice fields. While you’re there you can also head into Mataram for a dose of city life. If there’s any bits and bobs you can’t find on Gili Air, have a look at the mall. You can also stop by the other Gili islands. Party the night away on Gili Trawagan or get some peace on Gili Meno. Both the other Gilis and Lombok are super easy to get to by boat. You can either get the cheap public boat or fast boat.
where’s the party at?
There’s a few nights a week where the party goes on until late (Wednesdays at Legends and Fridays at Cheeky Monkeys / Lucky’s). But expect sunset drinks to be the regular and make the most of those happy hour deals.
Island life: connection
Alongside this, internet connection here isn’t the most reliable. Keep your phone data topped up as it will be the most stable form of connection. (Check out our blog post on How to Stay Connected While Embracing Island Life on Gili Air for more tips and WIFI spots.)